MIFFLINBURG UMC HISTORY
Our “Roots” - A Timeline of
Methodist / EUB History in Mifflinburg
1792 - Youngmanstown (later Mifflinburg) is founded.
1793 - A small band of people first meet in each other’s
homes to hear an itinerant minister riding the
Northumberland Circuit of the Methodist
1803 - Property on the corner of 3rd & Market Streets
is deeded to the trustees of the “Communion
Christian Church” upon which the “Old Log
Cabin Church” is built, now an M. E. Church.)
1806 - Jacob Albright, founder of the Evangelical
Association, preaches in New Berlin, which
becomes the center of their denomination’s
1843 - The first M .E. Sunday School class is
organized – a class of 10 scholars taught by
Miss Rose Wilson.
1856 - The Mifflinburg Circuit is formed. A “great
revival” that year leads to the need for a new
church. The “second” church is dedicated in
1873 - The Methodist parsonage is built east of the
church on a lot bought in 1869.
1893 - Under the leadership of Rev. Heckman, the
“third” church is built, this one facing Market
St.- our current place of worship 125 years later.
1901 - Members of the Evangelical Association buy the
church on the 300 block of Market St. from the
Presbyterians. The first pastor, Rev. C. C.
Mizener calls to order the first Sunday School.
1902 - The church is dedicated as St. Paul’s
Evangelical Church of Mifflinburg.
1922 - The Evangelical Association becomes the
Evangelical Church. (through split & re-union)
1946 - The Evangelical Church and the United Brethren
Church merge to form the Evangelical United
Brethren Church (EUB)
1968 - The Methodist Church and the EUB Church
merge to form the United Methodist Church. St.
Paul’s changes its name to St. Paul’s United
1972 - Despite discussion of yoking between the two
United Methodist churches since 1967, on Feb. 13
both congregations vote no. By congregational
vote in May, the church at 3rd & Market becomes
Wesley United Methodist Church.
2000 - St. Paul’s and Wesley become a blended
congregation in January. Church services are
held at Wesley; Sunday School classes at St.
2001 - The blended congregation officially merges and
is named Mifflinburg United Methodist Church.
All activities are held at 279 Market St.
2005 - A major building expansion is undertaken. A
new addition for offices and a Family Life Center
are consecrated on December 18, 2005.